Wednesday, May 28, 2008
3. What are your favorite yarns/fibers? What are your least favorite yarns/fibers? I like all yarns and fibers but my favorites are the shiny ones – silk, bamboo, soysilk! But I love all kinds of yarns and fibers. I am least fond of generic acrylic but it does serve its purpose in the yarn world.
4. What are your favorite colors? What are your least favorite colors? My favorite colors are purples and blues but I love all colors. Least favorite would be ugly brown – you know the shade that resembles mud or worse.
5. Are there any yarns/brands that you are dying to work with but never have? Noro and Dream in Color are two that come to mind.
6. What is/are your favorite types of projects to knit/crochet? Right now, lace especially shawls. I also like bags.
7. What are you currently working on? Anything you plan to work on this summer? Currently working on a shawl from my handspun and a sweater for my son. I have a slew of projects queued up including gloves for hubby, socks for hubby, a headband for hubby. Hmm - hubby gets a lot –but he has been waiting patiently.
8. What is your favorite FO? (Post a pic if you would like.) I gotta be honest and say I did a kick-a** job on the item I made for my spoilee in the HSKS5 swap but I can’t post or tell without giving it away. But I am very happy that I produced such a good piece to give away.
9. What is your oldest UFO? I just pulled a baby blanket I started for my son out of my stash to put in the yard sale pile. My son is 4 now. This is definitely never going to become a FO.
10. Are there any techniques that you want to learn? Magic Loop socks.
11. Are you on Ravlery? What's your ID? Yes – Chloecat262
12. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Yes. Womens size 9
13. Do you collect anything? Books, Disney – especially fairies and princesses, shoes and I have a strange fascination/addiciton with small storage containers (baskets, drawers, boxes) – I seem to think I need more storage containers.
14. Do you have a yarn winder and/or swift? I have an antique yarn winder that matches my antique spinning wheel. No swift though.
15. Do you love sweets? What are your favorites? Chocolate! And Sweet tarts and smarties!
16. What are your favorite scents? Lavender, vanilla, fresh rain, bounce dryer sheets, my son.
17. Where do you keep your needles/hooks? Besides all over? I have a needle bag which holds most of them.
18. Do you have a wishlist (Amazon, Etsy, etc?) Amazon
19. Having a birthday this summer? Nope – Im a fall baby
20. Are you allergic to anything??? Please let your pal know! Though I am actually allergic to everything under the sun (trees, grass, dirt, dust, mold, cats, weeds, guinea pigs) its not something to worry about unless someone plans to send a pollen collection.
1. Which of Arabella Figg's cats ran out from under the car?
a. Tibbles (page 20)
2. Which of the following is NOT one of Albus Dumbledore's middle names?
a. Ignatius (pg 139)
3. Which educational decree introduced a High Inquisitor to Hogwarts?
d. 23 (page 307)
4. Apart from Harry, Ron and Hermione, who was the first person to enter the Hog's Head that showed an interest in Harry's Defence Against the Dark Arts classes?
b. Neville Longbottom (page 337)
5. In the first Quidditch match of the year which player attempted to score first?
a. Angelina Johnson (page 407)
6. What kind of bush does Harry hide behind to listen to the news?
b. A hydrangea bush (page 1)
7. Why is Mundungus Fletcher disguised as a woman when he witnesses the DA (Dumbledore's Army) meeting in the Hog's Head pub?
b. He was banned from the Hog’s Head pub 20 years ago
8. When Harry and Cho go on their first date to Madam Puddifoot's in Hogsmeade, what is it decorated with for Valentine's Day?
c. Golden cherubs and pink confetti (page 559)
9. How old is Sturgis Podmore and where does he live?
a. 38 and number 2 Laburnum Gardens Clapham (page 287)
10. What did Fred and George Weasley do to Montague?
a. Forced him head-first into a Vanishing Cabinet on the first floor. (page 627)
Picture Scavenger Hunt
Sunday, May 25, 2008
The contest is to post about a knitting first. Well, I have been knitting now for over 20 years. I find that hard to believe myself as sometimes I swear I am not over 20 myself but it is what it is. During that time I tried my hands at all kinds of patterns and never had any fear. I was always self taught and being a knitter in high school in Southern California in the 80's was not exactly cool. So I learned to be a solo practitioner of the art of knitting. And then I found Ravelry. For the first time in my knitting life I met others who shared my passion! It was such an amazing eye opener. Imagine, being able to ask someone a question instead of hunting up answers in books. (Did I mention that where I lived was rather lean on yarn stores as well?). It is amazing to finally come out of the knitting closet and be accepted for the yarnie that I am! Needles and all.
So, that pretty much sets up my first. My first is that I am participating in my first swap. The Hogwarts Sock Kit Swap 5 is my very first swap. Until I joined Ravelry and met others I had no idea this wonderful world of swaps existed. Imagine, nice people sending each other presents just because! I know I could easily go out and buy yarn for myself but it is so much fun to make a package for someone and surprise them and then get a package in the mail with goodies. I have been looking at pictures all over blogs of the packages and I am blown away by the care that is shown by the sender to make the receiver happy. Best of all, it is a way to get to know other knitters, to read their blogs and to spread knitting love.
I don't have a picture yet but someday I will be posting my first package and hopefully many more to follow. I have already signed up for a second swap so I am obviously hooked. It is nice to finally share my passion with others and I hope I make my recepients happy! So that is my knitting first!
Saturday, May 24, 2008
Friday, May 23, 2008
Monday, May 19, 2008
1. colimamhe Chamomile
2. hianeaecc Echinacea
3. lgveoa Lovage
4. nsaie Anise
5. itlhhawcez (2 words) Witch Hazel
6. ladeevrn Lavender
7. oynranlype Pennyroyal
8. iwelnrepki Periwinkle
9. aavvakka (2 words) Kava Kava
10. waoalhmlsrm (2 words) Marsh Mallow
11. gseginn Ginseng
12. uwgtrmo Mugwort
13. What is your favorite thing to do besides knit and crochet? gdarnei
14. Do you collect anything? (yes and no are invalid answers) sfierae
15. What is your favorite flower? cilla
Sunday, May 18, 2008
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
First, my homework. I had to take my first quiz. Here it is!
1. Is from a muggle family and the first to attend Hogwarts? Both Penelope Willow and Perenelle Ballycastle seem to fit this one.
2. When knitting socks you use dpn's, 2 circ, 1 circ 1 sock, 1 circ 2 socks? So far only with dpn’s but I want to try magic loop and 1 circ 2 socks
3. Their owls name is Owlbert? Eleanor Wigworthy
4. Beat Agatey Mirrofold in a contest? Lily May Clearwater
5. Your favorite non 'puff color? Purple of all shades
6. They learned to knit for a school play? Me – Emma Kettleburn
7. They got engaged last week? Selena Starfire
8. One sentence/statement you would use to describe your stash? Patiently waiting to become something
9. Their best class is Divination? Daisy Chang
10. Last term everyone thought you were your sibling? Antonio Dela Weasley
11. When not going to Hogwarts your favorite thing to do is? Besides being a mom to my four year old …… oh wait there isn’t anything besides being a mom! While being a mom I love to read fun chick books, dream of having more time to spin, play with dye, drink coffee and stare in amazement as my son grows before my eyes.
12. You have read the books, watched the movie or both? Both many many many times over
13. Your family includes? Myself, my dear husband, my four year old son, Tucker the dachshund and soon to have Blue the English Staffordshire bull terrier
14. They have frogs in their room? Clidonia Acromantula
15. Has a dog named Kluane? Ursula Longbottom
16. My favorite thing to knit is. At the moment lace shawls and scarves
last a picture. please attach a picture of your Favorite Harry Potter Character.
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
|What Harry Potter Wand Are You? |
Your Result: 12.5" Yew, Dragon Heartstring
|9" Willow, Phoenix Feather|
|11.5" Yew, Unicorn Hair|
|10.5" Ash, Phoenix Feather|
|11" Mahogany, Unicorn Hair|
|8.5" Mahogany, Dragon Heartstring|
|11" Ash, Hippogriff Talon|
|14" Holly, Veela Hair|
|What Harry Potter Wand Are You?|
See All Our Quizzes
Sunday, May 11, 2008
Friday, May 9, 2008
I finished my first skein with my Wilton's Black Icing Dye experiment. It makes me think of misty rain in the forest. I love the results and I cannot wait to knit it up. Today promises to be a rainy day here in the Northeast and I have the next five days off. Time to knit! I have a second skein to also spin up but I just can't wait to get this one cast on.
Sunday, May 4, 2008
Saturday, May 3, 2008
What a tremendous surprise it was when I received my letter informing me I had been accepted to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardy as a first year in the Hogwarts Sock Kit Swap 5 - Order of the Phoenix. Once I arrived at school I was quickly sorted in to Hufflepuff under my alter ego name of Emma Kettleburn. I look forward to a spirited term and putting together a package worthy of my house to send to my swap spoilee. I am off to the common room to meet my house mates, share some knitting in front of the fire and await the games. I understand there are still some openings for this year. If you want to join in the fun head to HSKSwap. I hope to see you there!