Thursday, April 17, 2008

Yes, but can I repeat it?

Over the years I have learned at the heart of quality is repeatability. Once you get something down the key is to learn how to do it again in the same way to get the same results. Then you work on improving things. A fabulous end product is wonderful but has a limited market. In the world of fiber I am finding there is a fine balance to be obtained in the world of repeatability. A beautiful skein of handspun dyed creatively is a piece of art but begs the question "What can I knit with this 100/200/300 yards of luscious yarn?" Hmmmm, another scarf? Another hat? Another sock? But I want more!!!!So I am off to explore the world of repeatability in my handspun. 

I finished my yummy sherbet yarn. I ended up with 255 yards at about fingering/sport weight. I still havent checked the WPI on the plied yarn. I have enough to make a scarf but I really want to go bigger. The color really lends itself to a dreamy summer shawl. For that I need to double my yardage. So I am going to go for it and try to repeat myself and make a second skein using the same steps. Fortunately I took good notes and actually weighed the amount of fiber I dyed in each packet of Kool Aid. I did have to experiment a little in that I could not find Watermelon Cherry Kool Aid so I tested out Pink Lemonade on batch of my undyed first spinning attempts and determined it makes a similar pink. Since I am blending I believe it is close enough in color. I have dyed up the three colors using similar weights of my roving, drafted the colors together and Voila! I once again have sherbet fluff! Now it is all in the muscle memory to try and spin the same weight singles to obtain a similar second skein. I am taking my time spinning this skein so stay tuned. Hopefully by next week it will be done. 

In the meantime here are some promised pictures.

Here is the first sherbet fluff! I took the three rovings and drafted them together by hand. They are still a bit stripey. I blended further as I spun the yarn. 


And here is the finished product! Yeah, it actually looks like something I would buy in a local yarn shop.  


Finally, here is a promised look at my very first handspun. Believe it or not, this mess actually is a hank of something that came off a spinning wheel. I think it looks like something that came out of the trash bag we have hanging next to the dryer for the dryer lint. 


When I say I have come a long way, this is proof. Mostly I look at this and go "Ugh" but we all have to start somewhere. At the very least, this is a reminder that I am improving. It is also a good hand rub as it is still pretty full of lanolin. What is impressive is that I spun this on February 2, 2008. I spun the pretty sherbet yarn on April 12 & 13, 2008. That is just over two months. Of course, during that time I took a second class with another teacher and I bought a new user friendly wheel but ultimately it all comes down to practice, practice, practice. 




No comments: