Saturday, September 20, 2008

Hufflepuff Quiz #1

1. Do you knit and/or crochet? Knit. I consider myself a good knitter having been at it for way more years than I really want to admit considering I learned at 15. I can’t crochet to save my life. Well, I can do a chain stitch but that’s it. So I can make a great yarn chain.
2. How long have you been at your craft? Oh goodness, now I have to do the math and admit how long. Ok 38-15 = WHOA!!!!! 23 years! My knitting skills are old enough to drink. OK – lets be fair, I learned to knit around November so technically it is still 22 years. Yeah, like that sounds better.
3. Do you spin? If yes do you use drop spindle or wheel. I spin on a Babe wheel. I have tried a spindle but when you have a wheel, spindles take too long.
4. What is your favorite color? Purple, blue, pink, red, yellow – oh I guess almost all. Better to say I least like brown.
5. Do you have any other hobbies? I have a four year old and a full time job – I don’t have much time for other things. I love to read and always have a book going. Other than that I am mostly knitting and spinning when I have free time these days.
6. What are your favorite yarns/fibers? I love good yarn. Wool, silk, bamboo. Would love to try Handmaiden Sea Silk. But I love all kinds of yummy yarns. Mostly when I pick a yarn it is for color, touch and texture. I love yarn that I can enjoy visually and tactically. The other day I said to my husband “I’m petting my yak” and he understood. If you get that sentence, you get me and what I love in yarn and fiber.
7. What are your LEAST favorite yarns/fibers? Acrylic. It has its place but usually that place is not in my house.
8. Are there any yarns that you’ve been eyeing and wanting to try? Handmaiden Sea Silk has me curious but haven’t indulged yet. Marthas Vineyard Fiber Farm yarn – I am a CSA owner but won’t see my share for quite some time. But she has some dreamy colors. I am in the Wollmeise watcher category hoping to get lucky someday but not really serious about it. Kauni looks very interesting but haven’t indulged yet.
9. What are you currently working on? I am incapable of project monogamy. On my needles right now: The Roadwork sweater for my son with Knitpicks Pallette yarn, Foliage Shawl with my own handspun/handdyed Cormo for my MIL, Pacific Islands scarf for me with Sereknity cashmere, Forest Canopy shawl for me with my own handspun/handdyed Corriedale, Luce scarf for me which is in danger of becoming a UFO and a second Fluke scarf with Noro. Soon to cast on is my HSKS6 project. I love what I am going to do for my spoilee but I’m not telling!
10. What is your favorite Finished Object? (Pictures are welcome.) Right now, Beverly’s Birthday socks. I made Fluke out of Sereknity’s Maui Sunset sock yarn. I also modified the toe since Beverly wears flip flops. I am really proud of these because I finished them, on time to send to Beverly with my husband on his trip to CA, I modified the toe without any help, and my friend Michele, who is an amazing knitter, apparently spent quite some time going over them oohing and ahing.
11. Are their any knitting/crochet techniques that you would like to learn? Not at the moment. I find that I pick up knitting skills easily. I guess if anything I would like to learn more ways to cast on and off.
12. What is you favorite type of book or movie? Comedy and light romance. For some reason ever since I had my son I can’t seem to watch anything to heavy or serious. Its weird. I got to see Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day on the airplane the other day. That was an excellent example of a movie I like – it was well done but fun and entertaining. It was a pleasant surprise as I had never heard of it. I also like old movies. Anything from the 40s and 50s. Cary Grant, Doris Day, Marilyn Monroe – what great movies. As for books it’s the same – light and enjoyable. Nothing to intense or emotionally demanding. Something happened to me when I had my son and I just cant handle anything to intense. I just finished Friday Night Knitting Club. I enjoyed it but the ending was a bit tough. I am probably going to release it into the wild. I don’t think I can read it again. My favorite author besides JK Rowling is probably Christopher Moore. He has an amazing sense of humor.
13. Who is your favorite person at Hogwarts? Oh gosh – that’s a tough question. Hogwarts just has too many wonderful people to pick!
14. Favorite class and/or subject at Hogwarts? Lately I love Herbology because of the wonderful magical plants that transform plain yarn into pretty colors.
15. How many family members do you have? Its me, my husband and my 4 year old son. We also have one dachshund who rules the house.
16. What is your favorite Fall activity? Making huge leaf piles and watching my son and the rest of the neighborhood kids play in the leaves.
17. How many projects do you have on your needles/hook? See question 9
18. What is your favorite type of footwear? What – pick a favorite? I LOVE shoes. But I am a careful shoe buyer. I tend to buy good shoes that last for years. My all time favorites, though, are a pair of Prada heels in linen with bright green ostrich skin toes and heels. I wear them with jeans and they are the focus of the outfit. They are gorgeous and as far as heels go they are the most comfortable heels I have ever owned. I can walk all day in these shoes. When I am at home, though, the shoes come off and I prefer bare feet. I did just buy a pair of really cute Kate Spades that I think I need to knit a cute pair of socks to go with though. These are little lace up oxford types with a high heel in a grey flannel. I think I need a lacy little cuff sock to peek over the top of the shoe. Like the old little girl lace top socks.
19. What is your favorite beverage of choice? Coffee!
20. What is your favorite park of Half-blood Prince? I don’t remember any parks in Half-blood Prince. I remember the Park in the beginning of Order of the Phoenix, but no parks in Half-Blood Prince. Ok – just kidding. My favorite part is probably where Dumbledore talks about liking to read knitting patterns.

No comments: