Monday, September 1, 2008

End of summer vacation

It is so hard to believe my family has been away for two weeks now. Unbelievably I have remained fairly content. I have to admit to having enjoyed the heck out of time to myself and have got quite a bit accomplished. Of course little of it was on the "need to do list" ie clean house, weed toys, etc. Instead I spent time on my "like to do" list and enjoyed spinning, knitting and even, most shocking, shopping. Yes, I actually went out with a friend from work and spent some time (and money) at Nordstroms. Just makeup though - I refrained from the cute pair of Lamb shoes. At home I managed to finally finish spinning up my first skeins of Cormo. I got about 500 yards of two ply 19WPI out of my first batch. Around 4-5 ounces though I didn't weigh it. It took forever to spin because I spun from the lock but it did end up pretty and OMG it is the softest ever. It reminds me of Cashmere. Right now it is natural. I am not sure what color or what FO it will become - for now it is sitting and looking pretty. Its nice to see something that started as this:

Turn into this:



I still have a lot more wool to spin but eventually I should have skeins of this fibery goodness. My next spinning project is to start on the yellow goldenrod dyed wool. I have four ounces to spin up as is - if it is too bright after washing I will blend the next batch with raw wool to tone it down. I still cannot believe I have neon yellow wool from freaking flowers!  If I had wanted to get this color I would have been hard pressed to find something equivalent in a chemical dye - its seriously that neon. 
Well today is my last day off alone so I have to tackle the "need to do" list and get the house cleaned up  in preparation for the boys to return home. I have been talking to them both now that DH has returned to the country and they both had fun. DS has apparently spent considerable time in the dirt and the plans last night (now that everyone is back at my parents house) is a much needed good bath. I am so glad he had fun camping. I hope to make this a regular activity as I have so many fun memories camping. Even if it is sending him with my parents when possible. Besides, it turns out that I had a mini-vacation on my own with this long weekend to myself (taking out the fact that I had to work all Saturday night - unplanned of course). 

No comments: