Saturday, November 1, 2008

November ALREADY!!!?????

Its been quite a week in the Quality Chick household. I am officially sick as a dog. Bronchitis again but its hanging on something fierce and I see a return to the doctor for my eyes. Why is this you may ask? Well, aside from the stress of travel and working a gazillion hours at site, I only took two days off this week before crisis again brought me back to work. I should have continued sleeping but had to go in. This actually may have been one of those "blessing in disguise" moments those as I had a meeting with one of the dept heads to discuss, of all things, work life balance and the importance of not being a single point of failure, which I sat through obviously pushing my limits, to be followed up by the news that my backup has, well to put it nicely, decided to pursue another opportunity (read bailed) and I was yet again stuck, as I have been for nearly two years, as the only resource on my project. After falling into shock from the news and the thought that I can still not take a day off for any reason I walked out without a word. However, I apparently made some sort of impression on the leadership team and a red flag was raised about the situation. I think the fact that I was sick added the right dramatic flair that I could never have managed on my own. I have been asking for competent help for over a year, to no avail, and my predecessor walked out on the job because of this reason, so my illness may have finally sparked someone to listen. At any rate, I get a new person on Monday. Hopefully this one will A - do work and B - show up and C - show interest. Sigh. 
The other bright side is that I stayed home for Halloween. It was my regular off day and I actually put my foot down and took it off. Usually I end up working my off day to catch up but I was too ticked off at the situation and too sick to care. So no work. But this meant I got to sit in front of the computer for my very first Wollmeise stock stalk. I have heard about this mythical yarn on Ravelry and started half-heartedly looking for some a while ago, but never with determination. Well, I managed to find out ahead of time the update would be on Halloween so I figured what the heck. Go for it. I spent all morning on the site updating my shopping list to be prepared while I waited. Finally I had to give it up to run errands. Well, somehow it was my lucky day because when I came home from errands I checked the page and stumbled right into the middle of the update. I managed to get two skeins, Red Hot Chili Light and Dark, just like that! I was freaking out excited! I love the reds so I cannot wait to see the yarn in person! So somewhere my stars are aligning. This week I had also visited the Yarnissma and was able to get a sock kit with a skein as well (the Spina de Pesci) so now I have three skeins of Wollmeise coming my way. But the whole experience was fun and exciting. I may have to do it again as I really love the Poison No 5 colorway and would love to get it someday, especially in lace weight. A girl can dream right - especially about yarn!
We also have had some visitors this weekend in the Quality Chick household. Traveling Teddy came to visit and my son also got to bring home Buddy Bear from preschool for the weekend. So we have a bear party going on! The bears all dressed up and went trick or treating last night. After the weekend I will put together a blog of the bear antics. 
This weekend I need to wrap up my HSKS6 package. Its almost done. My travel cut into the package time. Fortunately I had most of it completed before I left, but today/tomorrow I have to finish it all up so it can get in the owl post this week. 
I can't believe it is November. Where did this year go?

1 comment:

YogaKnot said...

Yeah I'm as surprised as you are. That sucks you are sick and are getting dumped on at work. The Wollmeise update is awesome though. I have never worked with it and have only managed to find one website that carries it but they didnt have any in stock at the time. boo. oh well I hope you feel better!

minerva :)