Sunday, May 25, 2008

The tale of my first

One of my fellow Hogwarts students is running a contest to win the pattern for the bag she designed and I must say, it is a stunning bag. I love it - nice and lacy. Check it out here.
The contest is to post about a knitting first. Well, I have been knitting now for over 20 years. I find that hard to believe myself as sometimes I swear I am not over 20 myself but it is what it is. During that time I tried my hands at all kinds of patterns and never had any fear. I was always self taught and being a knitter in high school in Southern California in the 80's was not exactly cool. So I learned to be a solo practitioner of the art of knitting. And then I found Ravelry. For the first time in my knitting life I met others who shared my passion! It was such an amazing eye opener. Imagine, being able to ask someone a question instead of hunting up answers in books. (Did I mention that where I lived was rather lean on yarn stores as well?). It is amazing to finally come out of the knitting closet and be accepted for the yarnie that I am! Needles and all.
So, that pretty much sets up my first. My first is that I am participating in my first swap. The Hogwarts Sock Kit Swap 5 is my very first swap. Until I joined Ravelry and met others I had no idea this wonderful world of swaps existed. Imagine, nice people sending each other presents just because! I know I could easily go out and buy yarn for myself but it is so much fun to make a package for someone and surprise them and then get a package in the mail with goodies. I have been looking at pictures all over blogs of the packages and I am blown away by the care that is shown by the sender to make the receiver happy. Best of all, it is a way to get to know other knitters, to read their blogs and to spread knitting love.
I don't have a picture yet but someday I will be posting my first package and hopefully many more to follow. I have already signed up for a second swap so I am obviously hooked. It is nice to finally share my passion with others and I hope I make my recepients happy! So that is my knitting first!

2 comments:

Emma Gorodok said...

I'm sure there will a lot more swaps to come, they are kind of addicting. And I love the same thing about them as you do, buying a great gift for someone else. For someone you might never have met if not for this swap. And in return, you receive a gift yourself, again from a total stranger. I have rarely been disappointed with a swap.

Thanks for sharing your story

Kari Lu Cowell said...

I don't know if you know this, but under the "Groups" tab in Ravelry you can find all kinds of swaps! (I have already done 5 this year! lol 'Cause I am crazy...)

I even run my own swap group (I am KerBear on Ravelry.): Knewbie Kit Swaps, on Ravelry. Come check us out!

My other fave is the Random Act of Kindness group where you send and receive...just because!

Happy Swapping!