Sunday, June 29, 2008

I love my Cormo

Ok - so after reading some discussion about cleaning fleece I got inspired to finally tackle my Cormo I picked up at the NH Sheep and Wool festival. I was nervous because I really hated cleaning the black Romney I got at the same time. It was dirty and didn't come out as something I am inspired to spin. Cleaning it was just uck. Although I knew the Cormo was much cleaner I was still not scared, not to mention that I really want to spin this fleece so I did not want to blow it and end up with a felted mess. Well, after reading some good information I took the plunge ...... and it worked out great!! I ended up with some very pretty fluffy wool just waiting to be spun. 
Here are some pictures:

Here is the entire fleece - all 4 pounds of it.


Here is a close up of a lock. Isn't it pretty! So white and some nice crimp. Almost all of it was this clean - a few dirty tips. 


So, a couple tricks for this effort. First, I did small batches. A few ounces at a time. Second, I took tuille and carefully laid down the fleece, lock by lock, and layered it two layers deep. This package went into a lingerie bag.



This first batch turned out ok but I wasn't completely satisfied. I liked the tuille idea but there was still too much movement. Off I went to the pet store to pick up the sifting kitty pan. While there I picked up a couple of different dog brushes.  These I used to open up the tips of the dirty locks before cleaning. This really helped the next batches and I had fewer dirty tips. The cat pan was key in that I was able to keep the fleece completely flat during the water changes which kept the locks intact. 

For the wash I did three 15-20 minute baths with Dawn in hot water. The fleece was so clean that after the first bath I had a tub with visible lanolin. No dirt. It was so different from the mud I had from my first fleece. After the 3 Dawn baths I followed with about 4 more water baths, also hot, until the soap was gone. Then a quick turn in the spin cycle in the washer and I had clean fluffy wool!
I have to say that I LOVE this fleece! I cannot wait to spin it up! As soon as I am done with the skein I am working on this in going on the wheel.  I also have to say that I loved cleaning and touching this so much that I went to Cormo Sheep and Wool Farm and ordered another Cormo fleece - Kathy2. I have my work cut out for me but I have big plans for all this wool - can we say Christmas gifts! 

2 comments:

yearofthedragon said...

AWESOME! I will bookmark this for when I get my fleece from Cormo farms.
4 pounds looks like a mountain of fleece! I will be getting between 3 and 4. Good grief, what have I gotten myself into?!

Knittings Nice! said...

Oh wow wow wow....what we would give here in the UK to have access to fleeces like this...all we can do is drool....wish we knew of farms/suppliers that would ship here...any ideas.